Amputation is the surgical removal of all or part of a limb or extremity such as an arm, leg, foot, hand, toe, or finger.
About 1.8 million Americans are living with amputations. Amputation of the leg — either above or below the knee — is the most common amputation surgery.
Physical Therapy, beginning with gentle, stretching and strengthening exercises, often begins soon after surgery.
The decision to fit artificial limb and practice with the artificial limb may begin as soon as 10 to 14 days after surgery.
Prosthetics fitting or artificial limb fitting is one of the major long-term recovery and rehabilitation processes that a patient must undergo together with a retinue of other processes including:
- Exercises to improve muscle strength and control
- Activities to help restore the ability to carry out daily activities and promote independence
- Emotional support, including counseling, to help with grief over the loss of the limb and adjustment to the new body image.
At Ageless Physiotherapy Clinic we are involved in the process of managing patients immediately after amputation and through the process of limb fitting ensuring that you have access to top grade prosthetics from one of the best manufacturers in the world.
Genium – Bionic Prosthetic System
Many years of experience and development as well as intensive networking with technicians have, in the end, led to a leg prosthesis system that really stands out in terms of workmanship, functionality and intuitive use.
At a Glance
- Optimized physiological gait
- Natural stair climbing
- Crossing obstacles naturally
- Natural stance
The functions of the Genium
Natural stair climbing
Climbing stairs step-over-step without an active drive system and massive compensating movements is a novelty for prosthesis wearers. Intuitive, part of the natural movement cycle, and without special commands, the Genium offers a solution that previously appeared impossible for a non-powered prosthesis.
Crossing obstacles naturally
Curbs, obstacles around the house and other everyday tripping hazards: now barriers of this kind can be crossed much more naturally with the prosthesis acting as the leading leg.
- Significant reduction of compensating movements
- The flexed prosthesis supports weight without collapsing
- Greater everyday freedom
The Genium is intelligent!
While limited flexion (e.g., 3R60) and unlimited flexion systems (e.g., C-Leg®) already offer advantages for the user in many situations, the Genium is able to differentiate between dynamic and static needs – thereby combining the advantages of both systems. It recognises when flexion is required and when to support weight while at rest. This permits a natural distribution of standing body weight – whether completing activities while standing up or simply pausing – even on inclines or uneven surfaces.
- Precisely balanced load on the prosthesis for a relaxed stance and less need to correct posture
- Relief for the prosthesis-side hip joint as well as for the contralateral side; reduces strain on the locomotor system and back
If you need more information about this unique product and more call :#08139491652